Is your WordPress site due for another update?
WordPress (WP) is known for its regular updates which can be hard to keep up with if you’re someone who has a busy schedule. Many people don’t update their WordPress website because they think it’s just going to slow their site down. This is actually wrong.
WordPress updates do the opposite and make your site faster and better. Whatever the reason for not updating, you’re missing out on a lot of positive things you can get from the updates. In this article, you’ll find out why WP updates are important and how you can update your WordPress site safely.
Why should you run WordPress updates?
WordPress website updates are first of all made for the benefit of the users. Why do you think WP tirelessly sends an updated and improved version of WP on a regular basis? Each update, WordPress fixes bugs and sometimes security vulnerabilities of its old version. They’re also improving on the features and performance so that users can manage their site better. Here’s why you should install WP updates.
1. To protect your site from hackers
Updates will discourage hackers from targeting your site. Hackers usually target websites with weaknesses and updates ensure that your site is protected. Each patch fixes reported loopholes from the previous version that have been used by hackers to hijack servers and steal information from websites. By keeping your WordPress updated, you ensure that your website is equipped with all the best security features.
2. To improve features and performance
Upgrading your WP site ensures that you have the latest features and performance enhancements developed by the WP team. Not updating your Wp site can result in various compatibility issues especially on plugins and third-party services you’re using.
You may think it’s cumbersome to update your WP site, but it’s crucial for your website. There are four common updates you need to do on your WP site:
- Core Updates — This update adds functional features and options to the WP core. It also includes minor bug fixes, security fixes, and internal performance enhancements. Core updates are usually important, which means ignoring the update can impact your site negatively.
- Plugin Updates — This kind of update can be downloaded on the WordPress Admin. All you need to do is download the new version of the plugin and overwrite the old one.
- Theme Updates — Themes are often regularly updated and these updates can be seen in the “Appearance” menu.
- Performance Updates — These updates focus on performance issues and aims to solve problems in loading speed and image optimization.
What steps should I take when updating WordPress
An overview of the process would be:
- Backup your current site
- Take “before” screenshots
- Update WordPress core
- Update WordPress plugins
- Update your website theme
- Perform post update website testing
The most important thing is to backup your WP site. Whenever you update something, always remember to keep a backup file. Backup files prevent permanent file loss that can happen during an update error.
If you’d prefer to hand all of this over to an experienced WordPress management team so you can have complete peace of mind that your site is up to date, we’d love to hear from you.